Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Is that Smoke?!?

That is the exact question, my husband and I asked ourselves as we sat on our couch yesterday. We were just sitting there minding our own business when we both looked at each other questioningly....are you cooking anything?

We both say no and dash to the kitchen...where smoke is pouring out of the microwave. I swear it wasn't me. First of all, I have never burnt anything in the microwave, and second well it just wasn't! I open the microwave and the kitchen is just overcome with smoke. It smells a lot like burnt popcorn, but magnified by 100. Through the smoke I can see a half melted soup bowl. You know the ones where you just add water? Yup! That's the one. Only my son didn't add water. 

He just thought, oh I want a bowl of soup, so he opened the noodles, put in the seasoning and cooked it on high for 3 minutes! Needless to say the noodles had seen better days, and unfortunately so had my microwave. You would think that a 12 year old could read directions......well, you my friend would be wrong. I can honestly tell you that this is not my son's first attempt at cooking....and all his attempts til then had been ediblish (probably not a real word, but I like it!). 

Once the smoke cleared we placed the soup bowl outside to cool. Just in time for the neighbor to come over. As I open the door I can see my neighbor staring at the has been soup, but she ever so politely does not say anything. She is probably thinking..."Oh, those poor children, she can't even cook soup in the microwave." As soon as I let her in she is bombarded with the smell of burnt yuck and again doesn't say a word!! Then again, neither do I. I am now completely embarrassed and can't wait to get her out of my house. 

Now the microwave has been cleaned and aired out, but alas, every time we open it all we smell is burnt popcorn!! 

Lesson learned.....

1) Make sure son reads the directions before he cooks anything!!
2) When a neighbor obviously has questions, just fess up even though they didn't ask.
3) You can never get rid of that awful smell!!