Thursday, October 18, 2012

"Shift" your Perception (Shift Book Review)

First of all, if I haven't convinced you yet to go out and buy Exiled the first book in the Protector Series, then you need to seriously get off your duff and read it already because let me just tell you that you. are. missing. out!

Synopsis (Goodreads):

Devastated by a terrible loss, Chase is trying to balance the life he’s been left with, a family he’s still getting to know, and power he never thought he’d have. He doesn’t understand why the Goddess has named him the Protector and granted him two gifts: the Mark, a tattoo that now covers his back, and the ring. But between getting interrogated by the Circle and psychic attacks from Riley, the Mark is the least of his concern. There’s a demon inside Rayna that’s fighting to be released, and it’s not her inner witch. It’s something else—a monster threatening to tear her apart.

As Chase struggles to control his magic, his enemies are closing in. Everyone has staked a claim on his ring, and destroying it may be his only chance to stop Riley. But Chase must decide if stopping him is worth risking the lives of everyone he cares about, or if protecting the ring will be enough to save his world.


My Review: 5-Must Devour!

Where do I being with this book? First let me mention the cover. I absolutely love M.R. Merrick's covers. And this one is no different! The lone doorway with earth's forest on one side, (with a panther amongst the trees) and a watery forest on the other, beckons you through fire to the desolate land with dark skies and funnels of air barring down. The cover teases you with the story that rages inside!

Now to say that this story was a whirlwind adventure would be the understatement of the year! Once this story has you in its clutches it never lets you go. 

Everything has changed for Chase since his 15th birthday when he was denied the power he thought he would have and exiled from the world he had always known. Hunted for years as a trophy for the underworld, Chase found friends in unlikely places and he swore to protect the innocent. Now he has power that even he doesn't know he has and struggles to control the elements raging inside him. While fighting with the loss of the only family member he had left. Blaming himself and others (won't say who, you will have to read to find out), his emotions grow out of control along with his elements. You can't help but feel for him as trials are thrown at him faster than he can blink and you wonder how is he still standing? 

But he isn't the only thing that is out of control. Rayna the hunter/witch/ ? has to deal with the part of her that she would rather just bury. Willy too goes through a tremendous amount of growth quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. 

From the character development, the action, and the new characters this world that M.R. Merrick has created has quickly won my heart and imagination!

Links to help you find Shift:
GoodreadsAmazon M.R. MerrickBarnes and NobleSmashwords

Favorite Character Moment: I have a few, but most are spoilers so here are the ones I am going to share!

Chase-"But most days, I'm lost. I spend more time trying to keep myself in check and my elements under control that I forget about everyone around me. I let my emotions rule me, and more often than not, they get in my way" (kindle, p. 171-172).

Chase-"Yes, I'm a hunter, but I don't fight with him or the Circle. I fight on my own side" (kindle, p. 214-215).


2 comments:

  1. I agree that Exiled is a whirlwind adventure! Nice review. Thanks for sharing.

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this series! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete