Thursday, January 10, 2013

Brainrush by Richard Bard (Review)

*Cover and Synopsis from Goodreads
Synopsis

When terminally ill combat pilot Jake Bronson emerges from an MRI with extraordinary cognitive powers, everyone wants a piece of his talent--including Battista, one of the world's most dangerous terrorists. Thrust into a deadly chase across Europe and Afghanistan to save his love and her autistic-savant daughter, Jake discovers that his newfound talents carry a hidden price that threatens the entire human race.

An original weave of current events bound by colorful locations and cutting-edge technology, Bard's novel is a must-read for fans of Michael Crichton, James Rollins, Clive Cussler, and Brad Thor. A dynamic mix of fast-paced action and thought provoking soul, this book challenges the reader to keep pace with every sharp turn and shocking twist. Acclaimed by fans of action, sci-fi, and political thrillers alike, Brainrush is one of the most innovative and entertaining books of the year.

Helpful Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble

My Review: 4 Delectable
I was so torn as I read this book, and reviewing it, even more so! There were so many parts of this book that I loved, but there were also parts that left me saying, really???

I completely loved the idea of this story and was all too excited to dive right in, completely intrigued by the idea of Jake developing superhuman abilities from a freak accident, that left him the ultimate prize for a crazy terrorist! I absolutely loved how Richard Bard managed to cross the idea of superhuman abilities with the world of the secret agents and military action! The characters were great and I totally believed in Jake! His story was one that literally broke your heart, so I was happy to see him get to kick some serious butt!!

However, I did not like the idea of aliens being involved with the story. I really don't think it added much to the story itself and personally could have done without it, granted it played a small role in this book, but I think that this story could have more than stood up on its own. There were many glamorous moments throughout this book, moments that left me literally on the edge of my seat filled with adrenaline, expecting and waiting for what was going to happen next.

Sure I could do without the aliens, but seriously Jake's abilities definitely have me interested. The action sequences in this book were great and were told in a way that were completely believable  and you definitely couldn't say that things were easy on this rugged crew. Far from it, this was literally a case of what can go wrong will go wrong, well besides the few little miracles that happen throughout the story, but really this is a book worth taking a risk on. Full of excitement, intrigue, and even gives you a taste of what real superhuman powers would be like.

Favorite Character Moment:
Okay this is a little bit long, but essentially sums it all up! Definitely one of my absolute favorite moments!!

"Let's see. I'm about to get dropped into the mountains of Afganistan in pitch-blackness. Then, assuming our two SEALs do their job right, I'm going to scale a fifteen-hundred-foot cliff using the equivalent of a Batman-style, motorized zip line; waltz in the back door of a top-secret terrorist mountain stronghold; and then sneak into their HQ and defeat their state-of-the-art security system with your little gizmo. Oh, and finally, rescue the girls. All while trying to avoid a couple hundred very pissed-off terrorists." (kindle, loc. 4432). 

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time." 

No comments:

Post a Comment