Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa (Review)

*Cover and Synopsis from Goodreads
Synopsis

"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.

My Review: 4 Delectable
First Reactions: Now I will admit that I was a little disappointed when I first picked up the book because I felt there was a serious lack of description for the main character Allison and her mentor Kanin. All that was really mentioned was that she was of Asian decent and that he was tall and well a vampire. I love it when an author gives me the freedom to imagine a character just the way that I want, but come on you have to at least give me an eye color! I don't mind if you don't describe the supporting characters, but when it comes to two pretty main characters I like to be able to visualize them fully!

Lack of descriptions aside I really found that I enjoyed the story. Julie Kagawa didn't bring much new to the world of the vampire, but she told the story in her own unique way, which I completely appreciated. The story did remind me vaguely of both Divergent and Hunger Games with how the main population in the book is treated and is left to fend for themselves.

I felt the story was decently paced and I really enjoyed getting to see Allison kick some butt. Finally, another book that brings me a kick butt female that also happens to be a lead character. Allison is tough as nails, doesn't back down from a fight, has a thirst for life, is intelligent and kind of a smarty pants....I totally love her!

This book is not completely what I expected and I am happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised, the story was a little slow in the beginning, but once it got started I quickly got wrapped up. I can't wait to read The Eternity Cure.

Helpful Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Website

Favorite Character Moment:
"Hunger flickered, always there, but I pushed it down. I was a vampire. Nothing would change that. but I didn't have to be a monster." (Hardcover 2012, p. 345).

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time." 

No comments:

Post a Comment