Thursday, February 7, 2013

Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Onyx (Lux, #2)
*Cover and synopsis from Goodreads
Synopsis:
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…
Helpful Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Webiste

My Review: 5 Must Devour 

Can I just say that if Jennifer Armentrout hadn't converted me to a believer in all things alien, then she would have done it with this book!

After the incident that happened at the end of Obsidian Katy is now mysteriously linked to Daemon. Giving her knowledge of his presence without actually having to see him. But despite the connection Katy believes Daemon's feelings aren't true, but only a strange side affect to their weird alien linking. But Daemon says his feelings are true and is determined to convince Katy otherwise. But things are changing around their small town and with that change comes a dangerous presence. As things come unraveled and deep secrets become unveiled Katy must decide who to trust and where to turn for help.

I can honestly say that I didn't want to put this book down. I just had to know every detail of the story, every bump in the road, every alien moment! And with each book I get more attached to characters and am amazed at how Jennifer Armentrout manages to surprise me and keep me on my toes every single time! Just when I think I know how things are going to go she goes and throws in a twist that has me re-reading and saying, what? But that is just one thing that makes this book so freaking good.

I am a sucker for a love story and the story of Daemon and Katy is quickly becoming one of my faves. I love both of these characters and in Onyx we get to see some serious growth, especially from Daemon. In Obsidian Daemon was the cocky, self-assured jerk who didn't want anyone near his family and was willing to protect them at all costs. And in Onyx he is still that cocky, self-assured guy determined to protect his family at any cost, but he isn't a jerk. Well not all the time anyway. In this book we get a glimpse at how gentle, sweet, caring and just plain incredible Daemon can really be.

And this time we get to see Katy act like somewhat of a jerk. Oh sure, you could say that Daemon deserves some of what he get's. After the way he treated her in the first book. but it is this side of Katy that causes a lot of trouble in this book. (Can't tell you what that is because it would give things away). It's her determination to do things her way and not listen to reason that causes her life and others to be put in danger. There are times I wanted to choke her and I was literally lecturing her about her behavior. But that is just one more reason I like Katy. She doesn't just follow people blindly, she is head strong and likes to make her own  choices. Granted as we see in Onyx her choices aren't always the right ones.

In this book Jennifer Armentrout brings us a whole new level of danger and suspense. Bringing in more unknown characters, secrets and plot twists. And I loved every minute of it! This book was full of action, suspense, love, and of course alien hotness! And Jennifer Armentrout of course leaves us wanting more with an ending that will literally blow you away and probably make you shed a tear or two or ten.

Favorite Character Moment

"I'm doing it so that I can stand beside you, as your equal, and not be someone you need to protect." (kindle, loc. 4266). 

There are so many reasons I chose this as one of my favorite moments for Katy. But the big one for me is that it shows just how passionate Katy is about not being the damsel in distress. And it shows her crazy reasoning behind all the stupid crap she does in this book. It really makes me connect with her on a different level and makes me totally understand her just a little bit better!



1 comment:

  1. I keep thinking that I may eventually come across a less steller review for this book, but it just hasn't happened yet. I am so glad that you loved it as much as I did. I really enjoyed reading your character moment as well, and it made complete sense. Great review! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete