Friday, August 2, 2013

Review: Sweet Escape by Bailey Ardisone

Synopsis:
Sometimes the hardest war to fight is the one raging within yourself…

Life will never be the same for Nariella Woodlinn. Just when she thought she had it all figured out, her world comes crumbling down around her-yet again. With no idea who she is or even where she came from, how can she save herself?
She once thought her biggest problems were the ones brought on by the mysterious man she refused to fall in love with—Mycah. But she quickly discovers none of that compares to what she is about to encounter next.
This time, it isn’t because of who Mycah is.
This time, it’s because of who she is.
~
Naminé risked everything to save her people. Her goal was to bring their only hope back to their Kingdom. As the war rages on around her, Naminé gets thrown into the lion’s den—the false King’s chambers. Can she fool a King who can’t be deceived on his playing field? Forced to do his bidding, can she prevent the downfall of the only hope she worked so hard to bring home? Will she be able to escape with her life and mind intact?

With everyone’s world falling apart and deceit around every corner…can any of them truly Escape?

Helpful Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Website

This is going to be a very hard review to write. But I will do my best to give you a review that doesn't reveal too much.

My Review

Nariella's life changed the day that Mycah walked into her life. But nothing could prepare her for the change that she would endure when his secrets and past are revealed. Under the willow tree where Nariella once sought calm and serenity her life is thrown into shambles and those she loves are stolen away. Now her place of calm serves as a reminder of all that she has lost. Then her world is turned completely on its head, when she finds herself in a place she thought she would never see. Now she no longer knows who to trust, who she is, or where to go from there. Nothing is as it seems and Nariella will have to rely on her heart to save her. While Namine desperately tries to bring home the savior she is thrown into the pit with the one person she is trying to deceive. The one person she is not sure she can fool. Can she fool the King and bring home the savior? Everyone is tested. Everything changes and no one will be the same.

Sweet Escape picks up almost where Seet Oblivion left off. Not much has changed for Nariella since the fateful day when Rydan was lost to her. But when Mycah decides to try and find Rydan her heart and patience are truly tested. It is clear that she is in pain as she wallows in despair and crumbles in on herself, closing herself off to her friends and her life. Now I admit, though I am glad I got a look at her pain and a good idea of what it was like during Rydan and Mycah's absence, I do think too much time was focused on it. I kept thinking, okay, she is in pain and doesn't know if she can go on without him, I get it, now let's move on.

And that ends anything negative I have to say about this book. Once Bailey Ardisone takes us out of Nariella's internal despair we are delivered to a world where anything is possible, dreams can come true, lives are lost, and lives are gained. A place where the truth is blurred, the past is revealed and magic is real. It is in this place that the best of the story takes place.

Suddenly we find ourselves in the middle of a war. Kingdom against kingdom, elf against elf. But there is also a secret war being raged within the false King's walls. The savior has returned and battles his way to take his rightful place upon the thrown. But there are those that fight to stop him. And in what seems like a wicked twist of fate the savior becomes a pawn to the false king, a tool to win the war and rightfully take the thrown. Now the savior, a once noble elf, with the heart of an angel shows a heart of black despair.

In Sweet Escape these moments of despair, these moments when the saviors heart is blacker than black are the darkest and hardest to read. It will make you rage, make you cry, cause you to curse out a certain little elf, and possibly consider throwing your kindle across the room. I know I had to actually step away from the book because I was so pissed off. And while you rage and yell at the sky, author Bailey Ardisone is making magic happen behind the scenes. She is winding secrets and hiding truths so that they can later be revealed.

Bailey Ardisone is definitely a magician at weaving a tale. When she lays a bomb on you, you never see it coming. You never see the signs. Because she makes you believe the lies she has told. I know while I was reading I kept thinking, no. There is no way that this is happening. Any moment this is going to change, any moment someone is going to tell me April Fool's, because that's what we have come to expect. But it doesn't happen and so you believe it with your whole heart. And suddenly you don't know who is more crushed, the character in the book or you.

Sweet Escape gives us truly amazing characters that grow leaps and bounds in this book. With many of those growths shocking the hell out of you. But I think the biggest changes were with Nariella and Rydan. They both grew so much in this book and they both take control of their life, becoming fierce warriors. Each character in this book gives you something to route for and something to believe in. And Sweet Escape definitely gives us a story that you can sink your teeth into. It was an absolute delight. And if I thought for one second that I would get all my answers and my hearts desire, than I was wrong. Because the ending that Bailey Ardisone gave us only left me with the shattered pieces of my heart that I taped together with hope.


'"I told you I could fight," the words resonated out of my mouth with confidence. I wasn't a scared little girl anymore. I would defend those I loved.' (kindle, loc. 5173).

Great moments abound in Sweet Escape, unfortunately I can not share many of those with you. But this one really shows just how much Nariella has grown. She is no longer the weak little girl. She is a fierce warrior not to be pushed around. 

5 comments:

  1. Danielle, you have done it again. You have completely blown me away with your review. You are just breathtaking when it comes to words! In all honesty, you should get paid for this. I have never read books being described so brilliantly like the way you do it before, and I am so absolutely honored that you reviewed mine (yes, it gave me tears). Thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving my books a chance. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! No words can really express how your comment makes me feel. Thank you so very much! I really appreciate your kind words. It is comments like these that keep me going. I think I am going to frame this comment so I can keep it forever! :)

      Thanks for writing the Sweet Series, I look forward to many more great books from you.

      Delete
    2. Awww!!! And I want to frame your priceless review!! =) <3

      Delete
  2. Wow! I'd never even heard of this series before! I'm kind of interested now... Do you think I'd like it? You rated it very highly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only discovered it recently myself. And now I'm in love! If you like books that involve magic, elves, love, action, suspense and make you yell, cry and laugh then this is definitely the series for you. In book 1 Sweet Oblivion the author does a great job of keeping details of what was happening in the story hidden until the end. And Sweet Oblivion is currently free on Amazon. So I say it is worth a chance! :)

      Delete